This is a single HTML form which can be used to generate DataCite Metadata Kernel 4.3 XML.
It is the updated version of Marcin Paluch's metadata generator. Metadata is generated by populating text boxes and selecting values from drop-downs. The results can then be saved to a file. The main goal of this form was to create a tool which does not require any installation, extra libraries, or an application server, just download and go.
This update was created by Osman Cakir from the IT-Group for the Humanities (ITG) at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München. The work is part of the project "eHumanities – interdisziplinär" and is mentioned in the DataCite Best Practice Guide.
The ITG code was then forked by Alain Borel from EPFL Library (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland). Adaptations for EPFL include better Datacite schema compliance and different selections for mandatory, recommended and optional fields.
- Download index.html, save under a different name if you prefer.
- Open using a browser (Firefox/Chrome/Opera recommended, or IE8+).
- Start creating metadata.
- Use 'Select All' button to copy and paste results or 'Save as file' button to save results to a file.
- JQuery 3.5.1
- Currently the 'save to file' feature does not work in Safari.
- The form does not perform any XML validation or validation against the DataCite schema.